Marco colonna, md
Dr. Colonna is broadly interested in innate immunity, focused in three main areas:
1) Innate lymphoid cells (ILCs) in mucosal immunity
The laboratory has a long-standing interest in ILCs, which are lymphocytes that lack specific antigen receptors. They are found in the mucosae and mucosal-associated lymphoid tissues, where they promptly initiate cytokine responses to pathogens.
2) Plasmacytoid dendritic cells and IFNalpha/beta in host defense and autoimmunity
Plasmacytoid dendritic cells (pDCs) are bone marrow-derived leukocytes that detect RNA and DNA from viruses and RNA/DNA/immunocomplexes through two endosomal sensors, TLR7 and TLR9, and secrete large amounts of type I interferons, i.e. IFNalpha/beta.
3) Innate immune mechanisms in Alzheimer’s disease and neurodegeneration
Triggering receptors expressed on myeloid cells (TREM) are cell surface receptors encoded on human chromosome 6 that we found to be differentially expressed on granulocytes, dendritic cells, macrophages and osteoclasts and regulate their functions.
1. Cella M, Gamini R, Sécca C, Collins PL, Zhao S, Peng V, Robinette ML, Schettini J, Zaitsev K, Gordon W, Bando JK, Yomogida K, Cortez V, Fronick C, Fulton R, Lin LL, Gilfillan S, Flavell RA, Shan L, Artyomov MN, Bowman M, Oltz EM, Jelinsky SA, Colonna M. Subsets of ILC3-ILC1-like cells generate a diversity spectrum of innate lymphoid cells in human mucosal tissues. Nat Immunol. 2019 Aug;20(8):980-991.
2. Collins PL, Cella M, Porter SI, Li S, Gurewitz GL, Hong HS, Johnson RP, Oltz EM, Colonna M. Gene Regulatory Programs Conferring Phenotypic Identities to Human NK Cells. Cell. 2019 Jan 10;176(1-2):348-360.e12.
3. Song WM, Colonna M. The identity and function of microglia in neurodegeneration. Nat Immunol. 2018 Oct;19(10):1048-1058.
4. Bando JK, Gilfillan S, Song C, McDonald KG, Huang SC, Newberry RD, Kobayashi Y, Allan DSJ, Carlyle JR, Cella M, Colonna M. The Tumor Necrosis Factor Superfamily Member RANKL Suppresses Effector Cytokine Production in Group 3 Innate Lymphoid Cells. Immunity. 2018 Jun 19;48(6):1208-1219.e4.
5. Cella M, Fuchs A, Vermi W, Facchetti F, Otero K, Lennerz JK, Doherty JM, Mills JC, Colonna M. A human natural killer cell subset provides an innate source of IL-22 for mucosal immunity. Nature 457:722-725, 2009